What is Parkinson’s Disease?
Parkinson's disease is a progressive disorder that affects the nervous system and the parts of the body controlled by the nerves. The symptoms of Parkinson’s are mainly caused by the loss of dopamine-producing nerve cells in the brain which control movement. Low levels of dopamine affect how your body moves, making day-to-day activities such as eating, getting dressed or using everyday objects like a phone or computer difficult. The main symptoms of Parkinson’s are tremor, muscle stiffness and slowness of movement, but not everyone will experience all of these. Parkinson’s can cause a wide range of non-movement related symptoms including chronic pain, sleep disturbance, constipation, memory concerns, anxiety and depression; all of which can significantly impact an individual’s day-to-day life.
Parkinson’s Patients Are Turning to Complementary Therapies
Each person diagnosed with Parkinson’s has a different experience, with their own combination of symptoms and side-effects; this makes treating Parkinson’s difficult. While conventional medicine focuses on the treatment of symptoms, complementary therapies adopt a more holistic approach. This means considering all aspects of how a condition may affect someone, rather than just focusing on medical symptoms. So, we looked at the emerging evidence on how CBD may support some of the non-movement related symptoms.
Studies Suggest That CBD May Be Effective For Some Of the Non-Movement Symptoms of Parkinsons
A number of studies and anecdotal evidence suggest that there may be some benefits of CBD for non-movement related symptoms of Parkinson’s:
- A 2019 paper proposes that cannabinoids such as CBD oil may help reduce neurological inflammation, which could treat Parkinson’s.
- In seven preclinical models of Parkinson’s disease, six studies suggested CBD could offer neuroprotective benefits
- In three additional trials of CBD and Parkinson’s - one randomized controlled trial, one case series, and one open-label study - participants tolerated CBD well. Additionally, all three studies reported improvements in non-motor Parkinson’s symptoms. Non-motor symptoms can be more difficult to treat with standard Parkinson’s treatment.
CBD May Improve Quality Of Life
Sleep disruption and a lack of quality sleep is a serious concern for people with Parkinson’s disease, nightmares as well as movement during sleep, is common. Because of the many potential health benefits of Full Spectrum CBD for anxiety and sleep disruption, researchers have suggested that using CBD as a daily supplement may improve quality of life for individuals living with Parkinson’s disease.
Kings College London Conducting Clinical Trial's On CBD As A Safe And Effective Treatment For Parkinsons
Parkinson’s UK, Europe’s largest charitable institution for Parkinson’s research, are funding the first-ever clinical trial to determine if cannabidiol (CBD) is a safe and effective treatment for symptoms of psychosis associated with the disease which affects up to 50% of patients and manifests in hallucinations and/or delusions. The trial, led by Dr Sagnik Bhattacharyya and Dr Latha Velayudhan at King's College London is set to extend over the course of 4 years, began with a 6-week pilot to establish the ideal therapeutic window for dosing, with participants receiving up to 1,000 mg of oral CBD in capsule form per day. Once optimum dosing is determined, researchers will recruit 120 individuals with Parkinson-related psychosis to take part in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study over the course of 12 weeks, according to the initial report
Here's How You Can Support The Study
Parkinson's disease is the fastest growing neurological condition in the world, affecting more than 10 million people globally. The number of people diagnosed with Parkinson's in the UK is expected to increase to around 168,000 meaning that every day, 50 people are diagnosed with Parkinson's.
This pioneering research could be life-changing for people with Parkinson’s facing symptoms of psychosis. Donate now and be part of the science accelerating these research breakthroughs.
The research will not only improve quality of life, but it also gives the consumer more confidence when shopping for Full Spectrum CBD to support some of the non-motor symptoms of Parkinsons
Biogenic's Top Tips When Buying CBD Oil For Parkinson’s Patients
- Check for third-party testing. COA (Certificate Of Approval).
- Ensure the product is validated for sale by the FSA (Food Standards Authority)
- Check online reviews to make an informed and educated decision.
- Check the oil type. Full Spectrum CBD Oil is proven to be more efficacious than an isolate oil
- Check with your GP/ Specialist Consultant before consuming CBD to check interactions with current medications
- Our Full Spectrum Oils combine the powers of CBD oil and other naturally occurring whole plant nutrients which when consumed together creates the entourage effect allowing your body to absorb more CBD
- Beware: CBD Isolate removes all of these compounds, leaving just the single supplement CBD, meaning that the body can't benefit from the whole nutrients and potential impact of the entourage effect.
- All Biogenic Oils are formulated with Ayurvedic herbs which combine with the powerful healing properties of CBD and the essential terpenes and flavonoids of the plant to deliver fast acting results. Biogenic’s one of a kind proprietary CBD infusions are packed with anti-inflammatory and calming ingredients like turmeric, black pepper, eucalyptus, juniper berry and oregano essential oils (depending on the blend) and have a light sweet orange finish.
- Our full spectrum CBD oil has the broadest range of potential benefits to consumers including improved sleep health, relaxation, exercise recovery, everyday stress management, reduction in joint inflammation (arthritis) and improved cognitive ability
In July last year, I started on Parkinson’s disease TREATMENT PROTOCOL from Natural Herbs Centre ( Natural herbs centre ). One month into the treatment, I made a significant recovery. After I completed the recommended treatment, almost all my symptoms were gone, great improvement with my movement and balance. Its been a year, life has been amazing